Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gluten-free bread hunt

I've been searching endlessly for a gluten free bread recipe. Every recipe is so different that it makes me worry there isn't a right one out there. I've bought all the different type of flour: almond, gf (gluten free) all purpose, gf wheat, tapioca, coconut, almond, and xamtham gum. But it always seems that every recipe always calls for that extra ingredient that I haven't thought of like, potato starch, soya flour, psyllium husks, corn flour, club soda, ect. I'm never going to eat bread.

I did stumble upon a pumpkin muffin recipe that I had the ingredients for and thought I'd give it a try. I half it in case I hated it. I should have done a fraction of that. I followed the directions exactly except for substituting the eggs with ground flax seed. It's a recommended substitute. Don't ask me how or why. Oh and I substituted the butter for a little margarine, applesauce, and olive oil. Eek and raw sugar for regular sugar. So maybe I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but it shouldn't have created the monster I pulled out the oven. The recipe said to bake for 25 minutes. I baked if for 50 minutes and it was still goo inside. It didn't burn it was just straight up pumpkin goo inside. What a disappointment.

But I'm not the type to give up. So I cut those muffin zombies in half and opened them up to bake again on the goo side. I will prevail. It's 2pm and I haven't had breakfast so I'll let you know how it goes.

Since I was worried about what happened with my muffins I asked the friend who recommended the diet if she substituted eggs when baking. She said and I quote, "When I did the diet, I did it strictly since I did not want to do it again (by not getting good results because I fudged). So I didn't use anything from a bag box or can except for rice cakes. So, no I didn't. Up to you though." Bitch. Seriously? I asked her about canned pumpkin and she said you can get them fresh at Safeway now. Well if I wasn't discouraged before. Even though she has helped me so much with my health I liked it better when I thought I was being strong and beating all odds even with my few slip ups. Guess not.

Forget about the pumpkin muffins and pumpkin chili I made. Back to brown rice and chicken. Back to bleak.

Oh and the muffins still didn't bake.

 

No comments: