Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blog Tech

Day 21

Blogging method? There is a whole world of bloggers with all different kinds of topics, purposes, and styles. So last night I went through all the blog settings and read a bunch different forums on how to make your blog standout and attract an audience. Does this make me a nerd? Since it was friday night it probably just makes me lame. Oh well. I didn't know there was such a strategy to it. I thought you just wrote and people read, which is probably why my main audience is my family who reads mostly out of obligation.

Some of the recommendations for attracting a crowd are creating post titles that will pop up in search engines, set up pings (still have to research what that is), link to other blogs, comment often, pretty much spend more time not blogging. Also, you can add lots of little gadgets to distract your audience from reading your posts. Since I love gadgets I added a bunch of them. My favorite gadgets are slideshows and music playlists. There are so many that I haven't figured out, but a cluttered blog is a bad blog... so I might need to delete a few.

After an hour of research I added a link to my sister's blog. I don't know how that will advance my blog in anyway. Hopefully she'll feel obligated to do the same. That's the goal anyways, along with promoting her of course.

There are so many different things you can do to help enhance your blog that it can be overwhelming. For example, finding your audience. Who think about that? I could have a food or fitness blog, but it would require me to cook or workout every day. Who has time for that? Also, I'm not sure I want to be limited in what I can write about. But maybe I should find my niche. What kind of people want to hear about the inner workings of my life? Hmmm. Uh oh. It might be time to change tactics. Any ideas?

As I was researching the blog world I did read that the most important thing about blogging is your writing. That's a relief... kinda. While my grammar might make my high school english teacher cry... oh wait I was home schooled... so if my mom is crying its because she failed. My upbringing might have stunted my English skills, but hopefully the rest of my life has left me with experiences and a certain outlook worth reading about. If not I'm open to suggestions. And by suggestions I mean links to money making blogs not your actual opinion.

Should have spent more time reading this book.

No comments: